Thursday, November 17, 2011

I Don't Really Feel Like Sharing

So... I recently realized how unfortunate it is that I don't enjoy sharing my viewpoints with the world. It began in my online college ethics class, where only one other poor sap ever agreed with me on any of the issues. It was the two of us against the harsh masses that bought into the greed and competition of our capitalistic society. We were rarely online at the same time, so we'd each log on separately, read the gang's posts against our previous comments, and scroll down in search of each other's tiny beam of light for the day. I often wonder where my classmate ended up. We never met in person, so I wouldn't even know her if I ran into her on the street. I'm back in that boat again, now posting on this new social media. I naively thought that since everyone has gotten a bit older and had many experiences, that there would be a few more who came to a similar phase of belief as myself. Instead, it's the same old exercise in futility. My ideals are met with the inevitable sound of crickets or opposition. I have found a few people with similar viewpoints. They're either related to me or from other countries. I'm definitely using a pen name for my novels.

4 comments:

  1. sorry if all i did was add to your isolation and frustration Linda.

    ReplyDelete
  2. it was a good learning experience. thank you for the reminder of how few think like me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. i imagine it's tough growing up feeling like the smartest person in the room most of the time.

    ReplyDelete
  4. not the smartest...just from a different species. the ugly duckling was my favorite book...i'll find my species one day.

    ReplyDelete