Thursday, November 3, 2011

Just a Suggestion

I'm back to post about a book I read over the summer, and would like to recommend, The Demon by Hubert Selby Jr. When I finished it (in only three days, which is a record for me) I felt like I'd been part of a suspense film. Most movies haven't drawn me in the way this book did. I can only hope to write that well one day, and to develop such a unique style as his. I also watched a documentary on Selby called "It/ll be better tomorrow". The title is a line from The Demon, so I was excited to read it. Selby simply threw himself into writing, because he had very little lung function and a lot of health problems, so it was all he felt he could do. I find him very inspirational. Since The Demon was only well received in Europe, most Americans have missed out on a great piece which actually pertains to them and their hopes of an 'American Dream'.

2 comments:

  1. you've just gotta read it. it isn't a book, it's an experience like a roller-coaster ride.

    ReplyDelete